TOPIC: DANGER OF DEVIL’S ‘ANOINTING’ (PART 1)
TEXT: GEN. 4:1-12; EPH. 4:26-27
FOCUS: OVERCOMING ANGER (A)
INTRODUCTION: Anger in itself is not bad and it is not wrong when it is directed against evil appearances. GOD Himself does get angry against the evil of men but He’s also plenteous in mercy – (Psa.103:8-9; Num.25:6-11- The Zeal of Phinehas). What we need to look at is the motive of our anger and the outcome of our anger. Anger that is born out of self-righteousness, self-centeredness, envy or jealousy is dangerous. If allowed to continue unchecked, it can consume us. This kind of anger seeks to harm and take revenge; it seeks to destroy and as a result, can lead to bitterness, hatred and violent behavior. God’s anger is however directed against evils.
A. DEFINITION OF ANGER
- The Longman Dictionary defined anger as a strong feeling of wanting to harm or criticize someone because they have done something wrong.
- The New Oxford American Dictionary defined anger as a strong feeling of annoyance, displeasure, or hostility
- The Oxford Dictionary of English defined anger as a strong feeling that you have when something has happened that you think is bad and unfair
B. SALIENT TRUTHS ABOUT DANGERS OF ANGER
1. Anger is the worst form of sickness anyone can have.
2. Nothing destroys a person’s life like anger
3. Anger makes a man not to succeed in life. You can’t have anger in you and prosper
in the real sense.
4. Anger can damage you, people around you, your finances, and everything about your
5. Anger will rob you of your health, happiness and vitality
6. Anger is a trap of the devil. It is a deep pit that you don’t know how deep it is or an oncoming train with full speed.
7. Anger makes you to be a fool anytime you allowed it. Eccl 7:9
8. Anger makes you to arrive with a wrong judgement and conclusions. Prov. 16:32
9. The work of the Holy Spirit will be limited (if He’s ever at work) in you when you have anger in you.
10. Anger will bring a man under a curse. Gen.4:11
11. Anger is a stronghold of Satan. The devil is a ruler of an angry person.
12. An angry man is possessed by vagabond spirit. There is no vacuum in nature.