TOPIC: THE HOLY SPIRIT (PART 6)
TEXT: ACTS 2:1-13
FOCUS: THE PURPOSE OF TONGUES (Part A)
Introduction: God is a God of purpose. When He decided to release the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost upon the early church, it was for a reason. It is said that when the purpose of a thing is not known, abuse is inevitable. Our focus tonight shall be the purpose of tongues and its impacts in a believer’s life. Sweet Holy Spirit; please reveal yourself to us again, in Jesus’ Name.
Purpose of Tongues
1. The Release of Voice – The arrival of tongues was a release of sounds and vocals to the believers. (Acts 2:2-3; John 3:8)
– The people of God are people of voice but the devil muted their voice
– To be born of Spirit is to be a carrier of voice
– When you are baptized by the Holy Spirit, you are not permitted to be soundless
– Holy Spirit came to loose your tongues so that your world can hear your voice.
– Without the baptism of the Holy Spirit, church was voiceless.
2. The Supply of Utterance – Holy Spirit supplied the words to say, it was not premeditated by anyone. (Acts 2:4; Luke 12:11-12)
– No Holy Spirit filled believer and tongues – speaking is permitted to lack words per time.
– The Spirit is a Supplier of words or utterances.
– The Holy Spirit was not only given to us to have a language of prayer but to have utterances with evidences.
3. The Generation of News – The Holy Spirit converted the noise at the upper room to news in the community. (Acts 2:5-6; Acts 17:6; Acts 16:16-18)
– The arrival of the tongues turned the early church to a news makers
– The church didn’t lack testimonies since that day
– The believers began to make news all over the world at the arrival of the Holy Spirit baptism.
– The believers were identified even by the familiar spirits