TOPIC: THE HOLY SPIRIT (PART 3)
TEXT: JOHN 16:1-11
FOCUS: PERSONALITY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT – PART B (ATTRIBUTES & WORKS)
INTRODUCTION: Having studied the foundation of the personality of the Holy Spirit in the last lesson. It is important for us to now have the understanding of the nature of His Person. Remember, Holy Spirit is without flesh and blood; He had decided to make our hearts His dwelling place, so where a believer goes, He goes; that is an intimate association and we must then be careful not to do things that will cause Him sorrow. May the Holy Spirit manifest His presence to us and through us, in Jesus’ Name.
ATTRIBUTES OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- He is the Comforter – John 14:26; John 16:7. No personality can comfort the hearts of the believers outside the Trinity (God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit).
- He Reproves, Helps, Glorifies and Intercedes. Rom.8:26; John 16:7-13
- He is the Seven Spirits of God – Eph. 4:4-5; Rev.5:6
- He is sensitive yet strong – Isa. 11:2
- He can be grieved – Eph. 4:30
- He is the Spirit of truth – John 15:26; John 16:13
- He is the Spirit of Holiness – Rom.1:4
- He is our Senior Partner – Acts 20:28
- He is honoured with the Father and Son in baptism and benediction. Matt.28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14
- He can be blasphemed and blasphemy against Him is unpardonable – Matt.12:31; Acts 5:3,4
- He receives the name and attribute of God – 2 Cor. 3:17; Rom. 8:14
- He bears witness with our spirit as believers – Rom. 8:16
- He spoke through the Prophets of old time especially Prophet Isaiah – Acts 28:25
- The creation is ascribed to Him – Gen.1:2; Job 26:13
- He is tender and gentle – Gal.5:22
Conclusion: The issue of the personality and attributes of the Holy Spirit is full of mysteries and it goes beyond what ordinary sense can actually describe unless the Holy Spirit stir up our spirits to actually comprehend Him. What a glorious life we have with the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Hallelujah!